EFFECTED USERS: Every Listener with Personal Data and no plan
Hair of fire 3 of 5
SUMMARY: Being prepared will save you valuable time after a breach is discovered.
- The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) reported that cybercrimes roughly quadrupled between January and April 2020, and the average cost of a business data breach was $3.86 million last year.
- The U.S. recorded 145.2 million ransomware attacks Q3 2020 alone. In certain contexts, paying ransomware hackers could put the victim at risk of Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) actions.
So, how can you be sure that you are ready for a breach?
Here with me to talk about this today is Liam Downward.
Liam has been working as a cybersecurity professional for 20 years, and has been running Cyrisma [Sy’-risma] (a cybersecurity company that he founded) for almost 3 years.
He is an expert at multiple cybersecurity programs, including: healthcare, financial services, retail, and manufacturing. Also, he is a ECouncil Certified Ethical Hacker, and he was awarded one of the top 100 high-tech leaders in the state of Hawaii. He now lives in New York and we are happy to have him on our show today.
So, what are the basic steps to creating a cybersecurity game plan in 15 minutes.
- Tabletop session
- Who should be there: Biz owner, Tech owner, key users.
- What industry are you in? Are you regulated? Do have regulations in your state/county?
- Do you have Consumer PII?
- Pick a threat scenario (ransomware, bitcoin miners, malicious software.)
- Who is our first call?What steps do we take?
- How long can we be offline?
How to find an Manged Service Provider (MSP)
- Talk to your colleagues – who do you use?
- Search Keywords: MSP, cybersecurity, web app pen(etration) testing, pen test, regulatory compliance.
- Assign a simple task:
- Do we have current vulnerabilities?
- Do we have a backup? Offsite?
- Do we store data?
- Are our systems securely configured?
Cyrisma’s linkedin Page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cyrisma
Liam’s Personal Linkedin Page: linkedin.com/in/liamdownward
Cyrisma’s Home page: https://www.cyrisma.com/